In this post, I am going to share some “Dos and Don’ts of Successful Blogging” that you must follow if you wish to become a great blogger.
Yes, it is true that you can write a blog about any topic of your interest but there are some blogging rules to create a successful blog.
Let’s start with the Do’s of Successful Blogging first!
Do’s of Successful Blogging
1. Stick to a Single Niche
If you are doing blogging just for fun or as a hobby, then you can write about any topic that you like. It doesn’t matter what you are writing about, because you might not have any intentions of ranking your blog on search engines. But if you are serious and passionate about blogging and have plans of getting ranked on google and monetizing your blog, then you must follow this first step.
You must stick to a single niche if you want to grow your blog’s audience and your ultimate goal is to earn money from your blog. If you write about a variety of topics, you will confuse your audience as well as the search engine as to what your website is about. So, decide a niche, brainstorm ideas and start writing!
2. Create a great headline/title
Use a great blog title. Most readers will scan through your headings to decide whether the blog post is worth reading or not. Include your primary keywords in the title. Make your title attention-grabbing.
Tips for writing a great Headline.
- Keep it short and sweet. Google’s display limit is 70 characters. Make sure your title fits that space. It would be great for the search engine pages.
- Make it engaging. This one’s a no brainer. Would you click on a title that looks boring? No, right? The same is for your readers. You must create a title that arouses the interest of the reader as it will help in increasing click-through rates.
- Include keywords but don’t go crazy. Including keywords in your heading serves as title tags for the SEO. But take care not to overload your title with keywords. Search engines are growing smarter!
- Pay attention to the kind of headlines you like. Because you too are a consumer of content, anyway! Put yourself in your reader’s shoes and think whether you would click on that headline as a reader.
- Do A/B testing. While brainstorming for title ideas, you may come across two strong and competing headlines. What you can do in this case is to set up A/B testing and see what happens.
3. Write SEO friendly articles
It is important to write SEO friendly articles if you wish to rank your blog in search engine results pages(SERPs). Use paragraphs. Long texts without breaks can seem monotonous and a bit daunting to read. Add appropriate paragraph breaks.
4. Do keyword research
Do proper keyword research before you start writing your articles. Keyword research is the first and foremost task in SEO. It is a process of identifying popular words and phrases which people enter into search engines. This is important to assess what to rank for. Doing keyword research will tell you:
- What people are searching for?
- How many people are searching for it?
For example: Suppose you are a fresher and just graduating from college. You wish to apply for jobs and want to create a great resume. But the problem is that you do not know how to create a strong and effective fresher resume. So, you decide to go to google and look for information regarding it. What are the possible searches you would make?
- How to create a resume?
- How to create a fresher resume?
- Fresher resume
- Resume Sample
- Fresher Resume Sample
All of the above pointers are examples of keywords. In simple words, a keyword is a popular word or a phrase that people use to search for information online.
5. Focus on Content and its Authenticity
What is content? Content is anything that can be expressed in terms of text, videos, images or infographics, and which serves value to the reader/viewer.
You must have heard the famous quote by Bill Gates that “Content is King”. This is true and a phrase often used in the world of online marketing. Yes, Content is the king in the online world. Content is everywhere.
Do you want to buy new speakers? You look for reviews online. That is content.
Do you want the answer to an assignment question? You search on google. What you find is content.
Do you post a picture on the Internet? That is content too.
So, in short, we all are consumers and creators of content in some way.
While content is the king, trust is the queen. And we all know, women always rule. So, while writing your content, focus on the authenticity of your content. Whatever you are writing should be true. Making your content trustworthy will help your audience to gain trust in you and build relationships with you. They will like to engage with you more.
Also Read: 15 Proven Tips For Running A Successful Blog
6. Make Use of Social Media
You can make use of your social media accounts to drive traffic to your blog.
Ask your friends and family to visit your blog and share it with their friends and family. You should also cross-promote your content on different social media platforms. Create an Instagram account to promote your blog content. Engage with fellow bloggers on social media. Visit and comment on their blogs.
A Special Tip: Join Blogging related groups on Facebook and post your content in those groups.
7. Use Graphics
Make use of images, videos, charts, diagrams, infographics in your blog while writing. It will not only make it look attractive but also authentic. Your readers will see that you have put in a great deal of effort in writing your piece of content.
8. Get in your audience’s shoes
Don’t just write for the search engines. Get in your audience’s shoes and see what they like or what type of content they are interested in. Of course, SEO is important, but you will get ranked only if you have a large audience as your readers.
So focus on creating content that meets your audience’s needs and answers their questions. Identify their problems and pain points and try to solve their problems through your content. If you provide valuable and informative content for your readers, there are high chances that they will keep returning for more.
9. Brainstorm Topics
There may be sometimes when you get short of content ideas to write about. Therefore, it is a great practice to set aside some time in your week where you just brainstorm topics and write them down. Doing so will make sure that you always have content ideas to write about.
If you cannot think of any content ideas for your blog posts, then you may follow the below-mentioned tips:
- Create an account on Quora and follow it religiously. Keep an eye on what questions people are asking for on Quora and try to answer them through your content. Quora is a great platform from where you can drive organic visitors to your blog.
- Use Google to discover keyword volume.
- The internet is full of inspiration for blog ideas. Look what other bloggers in your niche are doing. If people like what they are doing, they will like you too. (PS: I am not telling you to copy anyone’s content. You can look at other blogs for inspiration and ideas.)
- Pinterest is a wonderful source of inspiration for bloggers around the globe.
- If you have some blog subscribers already, survey your folks to know what they would like to see and learn about. If you do not have any subscribers, you can do a poll on social media.
- Carefully examine what people are saying on social media. Explore your comments section and you may find inspiration for your next post. Who knows?
- Seek inspiration from your audience. Use the comments section of your blog to know what they want to see or what they are liking the most.
- Write about current events or important days of the year. This never goes out of style!
10. Install Analytics
Since you are putting so much effort into your blog posts, you may also want to analyze how it is performing. An analytics tool will help you do just the same. Google Analytics is a free tool by Google that you can use to see your blog’s analytics.
Now that we have discussed the Keys to Successful Blogging, let’s jump on to the things to avoid when writing a blog. Below mentioned are 10 Don’ts of Successful Blogging that you must follow.
Don’ts of Successful Blogging
1. Never Copy Someone Else’s Content
Make it a norm to never copy from anyone. Copying from anyone will also count as plagiarism and Google is very strict about plagiarism. Taking inspiration, however, is completely okay. If you choose to use a snippet of content from someone else’s writing, make sure to seek their permission before doing so.
2. Don’t Look For an Easy Way
There’s no secret to successful blogging. You have to find your way.
3. Don’t think of blogging as a get-rich-quick scheme.
If you’re looking for ways to get rich quick, blogging is not the thing for you! It takes time and effort to build a successful blog that pays. If you are able and willing to put in that much amount of time and effort, then you are welcome to the world of blogging.
4. Don’t Give Up Too Soon
You might have heard that all good things take time, so don’t give up too soon on your blogging efforts. It will take time to build a successful blog that drives regular traffic and engagements.
5. Don’t Compare Yourself
Don’t compare yourself to others in your niche. Most successful blog owners in your niche started way before you and they have put in the time and effort. You can reach there too if you are ready to make the effort.
6. Don’t Write Purely for the Search Engines
Do not write purely for the search engines. Yes, optimizing your blog for search engines is important for SEO. But you need to keep the needs and wants of your audience in mind. This is because you are ultimately writing for your audience. They are going to like, comment and share your content.
7. Don’t Forget To Proofread
Don’t forget to proofread your blog posts before publishing them online. Make it a habit to proofread your blog posts every time before you publish a new post. Check for spelling and grammatical errors and correct them if found any. A post with lots of spelling mistakes and/or grammatical mistakes makes it look unattractive to the readers.
8. Don’t think that there’s only one way to monetize your blog.
Don’t think that there’s only one way to monetizing your blog. There are many. Once you gain enough readership for your blog, you can monetize your blog in the following ways:
- Affiliate Marketing: There are many companies out there who have affiliate programs and who are willing to pay you a commission in exchange for directing them your blog visitors.
- Sponsored Blog content: It is a way when a company agrees to pay you a sum of money and in return, you have to write an article that is either related to them or about their products or services.
- Selling E-Books: If you are a specialist in any field, you can create an e-book of your own about that specific topic to educate people about that topic and sell it using your blog.
- Selling online courses: Do you possess a special skill that you are known for among your audience? Monetize that skill by creating an online course and selling it through your blog.
- Selling your Services: You can also sell your expertise by selling your services online. Suppose you are a content writer or a digital marketer or a graphic designer or anything, you can advertise about it on your blog and get clients to work with.
- Google AdSense: You can sign up for an AdSense account on Google. It provides a way for publishers by which they can earn money from their content online. It matches ads similar to your content and places it on your website. You get paid for these ads.
9. Don’t write about more than one topic in a post
Do not write about more than one topic in one blog post. Make sure you write about only one topic in one blog post. If you write about more than one topic, it will confuse your readers on what the topic is all about. Not only your readers, but the search engines will also get confused as to what the blog is about and which topic to rank for.
10. Don’t be Inconsistent
Avoid inconsistent posting at all costs. It is important to publish your blogs regularly to keep your audience engaged. If you are consistent with your approach, your blog visitors will keep returning for more fresh content. Have a set timetable as to when you will be posting.
These were some Do’s and Don’ts for successful blogging. Do let me know your best tips for blogging in the comments section below.